Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2008 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School: École NDA
P.O. Box 100
Chéticamp, Nova Scotia
Principal: Cyril Camus
School Telephone: 902-224-5300
School Fax: 902-224-5305
School Website: http://nda.ednet.ns.ca
Subjects and Grades Taught: French and Natural Sciences in Grades 4, 5 and 8, kindergarten to Grade 12 literacy mentor
- Firmly believes in the importance of the teacher-student relationship, focuses on individualizing the learning process and encouraging children to participate actively in the world around them.
- Has transformed the classroom into a workshop where everything from the physical organization of the space to the technological tools is designed to promote communication and collaboration on concrete, multidisciplinary projects.
- Through his own involvement in community life, helps his students to put the principles of mutual help and respect they learn at school into practice.
- Finds ways to help every child to succeed, including children with learning difficulties. His devotion to his work has forever changed the home and school lives of many children over the years.
- Takes students off the beaten path of education. His students' successes include winning the Cape Breton Highlands National Park Prize, helping the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture seed a river, dissecting a piglet and participating in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's DARE project.
"Baden Powell, who founded the Scouts, left us a message: 'Try and leave this world a little better than you found it. I think Gaston Aucoin shows us how that is done." Social Worker
"I was motivated in class by you. / I learned how to do my work from you. / In my heart, I will never forget you. / Mr. Gaston, I'm going to miss you." Student's Poem Nouvelle-Écosse
- Date modified: