Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School: St. Paul's
240 Newfoundland Drive
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
Principal: Thomas Bartlett
School Telephone: 709-753-6630
School Fax: 709-753-4974
School Website: www.k12.nf.ca/stpj
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 7-9, Late French Immersion, Science, Health, Religion
- Makes extensive use of information and communications technology in the classroom.
- Show proficiency in using technology as a means to communicate information for tests, assignments, upcoming activities or other news items.
- Cross-curricular approach to teaching methods.
- Classroom is enhanced by the presence of visual stimuli and student work.
- Provides activities that appeal to a wide variety of learning styles (written, visual, kinesthetic)
- Ms. Webb has successfully incorporated the use of WebCT into her classroom. By using this online course management system, she has introduced technology to the learning environment of her students. In conjunction with classroom learning, the webCT program allows student to post ideas, discuss key topics, link to related web pages and directly communicate with their teacher outside of class.
- Ms. Webb completed a proposal for the Canadian Society for Studies in Education related to her extensive use of technology in the classroom. As a French Immersion teacher, Ms. Webb uses the internet not only to assist her students to learn language, but also to assist fellow teachers in her school and her district. Staff meetings, district professional development sessions, profession journals and national conferences have all been exposed to Ms. Webb's teaching methods.
- Ms. Webb successfully developed and circulated a Science Support Site for Junior High teachers. She is working in conjunction with the Newfoundland and Labrador's Teacher's Association to discuss integrating the site into their proposed 'Science Room.'
- Ninety per cent of Ms. Webb's students use the webCT site she created once a week. Her classes tend to score well above average in testing from the school, district, and provincial levels. Students in her class demonstrate the ability to seamlessly incorporate technology into their everyday learning.
"I have been impressed by how Jessica is able to actively involve and motivate students. Her approach to teaching enables her to encourage her students to be risk takers. By using a multitude of instructional strategies that address the varied learning styles and intelligences of her students, she is able to bring out their very best." - Principal, St. Paul's Junior High School
"Ms. Webb exhibits integrity in the classroom as she works with her students and her colleagues. Her attention to detail in the presentation of her lesson plans couples with her innate ability to communicate difficult scientific concepts creatively to her students is par excellence." - Colleague, St. Paul's Junior High School
"Jessica Webb has consistently demonstrated the ability to connect with her students. She meets with them individually and at times in small groups to discuss issues that may be interfering with their learning. Her students know that she genuinely cares about them and they can approach her with any issue. In turn, they are motivated to learn and are open to the innovative methodologies that she utilizes in the classroom setting." - Guidance Counsellor
- Date modified: