Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Hebrew Academy
5700, avenue Kellert
Côte-Saint-Luc, Quebec H4W 1B1
Principal: Elaine Druker
School Telephone: 514-489-5321
School Fax: 514-489-8607
School Website: www.hebrewacademy.qc.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Human biology, physical science, physics, advanced chemistry
- Set high standards for students and at the same time provide them with the tools for success.
- Help students become independent learners and thinkers, and bring out their potential.
Inspires students by bringing the science curriculum to life, and helps them recognize the connection between curriculum and real life:
- more than half of the small school's students take advanced science course electives
- students have an excellent attendance record and are respectful of teacher and lab
- students consistently place in top five per cent on provincial exams
- high proportion of graduates pursue science-related courses in post-secondary education.
Develops interesting and stimulating assignments and class activities to give students a deeper understanding of importance of science in their life:
- biology students are required to write a 1,500-word essay on a medical condition or disease; they learn about their own family medical history in the process
- chemistry students research the properties of everyday items and gain a better understanding of the use of chemicals.
Engages all students in learning regardless of their level or ability, presents concepts in as many different ways as necessary, and is available for lunchtime and after-school tutoring.
Organizes and works closely with students on extracurricular activities such as Earth Day, International Chemistry Week, leadership programs and others.
"She is the foundation of our school and the person to whom everyone goes for advice. Her warm smile and her friendly giggle can always clear up our day." Student
"It is not her many years of experience at the school but her insight, her ability to assess the whole child, her level headedness that we trust." Fellow teacher