Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Holy Heart of Mary High School
55 Bonaventure Avenue
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 3Z3
Principal: Robert Pittman
School Telephone: 709-754-1600
School Fax: 709-754-0855
School Website: www.hhm.k12.nf.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Biology
- To teach is to touch lives forever.
- Recognize that while students may range in academic ability and have various career aspirations, they can still be scientifically literate.
- "If I don't know the answer, I'll find it for you or lead you to it!"
Creates activities and uses teaching methods that prepare students for both higher learning and the work world by developing necessary skills and work habits:
- students work together to prepare seminars on topics of local interest, such as fisheries, develop team research projects to investigate a topic in the curriculum, learning biology and cooperative work skills simultaneously
- students gain hands-on experience and take a first-hand look at scientific research in action on field trips to the botanical gardens, a national park and research facilities at Memorial University.
Students in Advanced Placement biology compete and win in local, provincial and national science events, such as the Canada Wide Science Fair, the National Biology Competition, the Connaught Student Biotechnology Exhibition and Memorial University's Neuroscience Brain Bee.
Student enrolment in Advanced Placement biology has increased, the pass rate is close to
100 per cent, and attendance is near perfect.
Develops and provides students and parents with tips on effective listening, note taking and homework, and test and exam preparation guidelines to encourage lifelong good study habits.
"I love her passion for biology and how she can relate it to real life." Student
"She allowed me the freedom to develop my own teaching style and rapport with students within the security of a well-organized and effectively run classroom environment." Student teacher
- Date modified: