Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Princess Elizabeth Public School
Principal: Irene Anton
Grades/Subjects Taught: Guidance, English, mathematics, science, physical education, design and technology
- Inspire students to stretch academically for a sense of pride and achievement in their work.
- Make sure students leave fully prepared for high school, regardless of initial ability.
- Findlay's Rule: Once you're in my class, you're mine for life!
Delivers highly successful math program:
- school student or team traditionally wins first place in the University of Waterloo's Gauss Mathematics competition
- top three math students in Grade 9 were former Findlay students.
Delivers solid science teaching:
- provides engaging hands-on experiments
- promotes good knowledge of inquiry method
- teaches note-keeping for experiments
- develops sound approach for study note and test preparation.
Demonstrates strong commitment to reading:
- includes novel studies, reading aloud, variety of writing assignments
- enables publication of school yearbook in limited time with limited budget
- produces Canadian Achievement Test scores higher than board average.
Encourages development of civic responsibility:
- students help kindergarten students on bus, answer phones at noon, act as lunch monitors
- students organize recycling drives
- students collect cans for food drive, pennies for toys at Christmas.
- Date modified: